- Gamble more than you can afford to lose. This is the single dumbest
thing that you can do. Look around you; who pays for all the free shows,
drink and subsidised meals? The punters of course. The chances of you
beating the house are so slim that they are not worth calculating. Think
of gambling as a way of paying for entertainment and not as an investment.
- Jay walking. The Strip is one of the busiest roads in the US cross
where possible at bridges where not only use proper crossings and only
cross when signalled to do so. Failure to comply with this could not
only ensure that you become a short term Strip attraction but could
land you a night in Jail. Jay walking is illegal in the US and you will
get arrested for it.
- Carelessness with your valuables and money. Whilst I have never felt
threatened in Vegas you are constantly reminded that pickpockets operate
in this area. It is easy to get distracted with so much to see and do
that I am sure it's easy pickings for these criminals. Be careful particularly
when at slot machines and tables. Keep your wallet/purse in front of
you; I now wear mine on a chain since the Venetian incident. (see Casino
- Pay anything less than 100% attention whilst driving down the Strip.
There is a lot to see, it's very exciting but pay attention. There have
been many accidents caused because proper attention was not being paid
to the road. There have even been cases of people trying to film and
take pictures whilst driving. The police are very tough on motor offences
on the Strip so be careful and keep safe.
- Not use sun protection. It's very dry in Vegas; as a result it feels
a lot cooler than it really is. 100F in Vegas only feels like about
80F at home! Don't be caught out cover up, use sun protection lotions
and ensure that you drink loads of fluids throughout the day.
(Medical tip: Beer / Alcohol doesn't count as fluid! it will dehydrate
- Play the slots in the Airport. With average slot payout in Vegas around
92-96% it's a good bet, rumour and experience have shown that the slots
in the airport are much lower than this.
- Gamble whilst drunk. The drinks are free whilst you gamble, any ideas
why? You got it; it's a proven point that people will take more risks
when they have had a few beers. Don't let them fool you make it 1-0
to the punter!!
- Play Keno. Odds closer to the national lottery with much lower jackpots
than Bingo. Has house odds stacked up so high they reach the casino
ceiling; this really is a mugs game.
- Try to cheat. This is really stupid; casinos have cameras everywhere
and are familiar with every trick in the book. You simply will not get
away with it; if you are in any doubt I suggest that you watch the film
Casino prior to leaving home!
- Turn up on a Friday, Saturday or Holiday without a reservation. Although
you would have to be very unlucky not to get any room, except for Mid
November when Comdex is on and all rooms tend to be booked. You will
probably not be able to either get in to your first choice and will
most definitely pay a lot more than you would if you had pre booked.
- Play any slot offer that involves a buy in of less than the money
you are given. The Riviera and Tropicana amongst others offer $40 play
for $20 buy in (or similar amounts). You get to play on "special"
machines. You are damn right they are special - they don't pay out!
Apparently you can't lose as if you do not hit a jackpot you get a quality
prize worth at least $40, my idea of quality and the casinos idea of
quality differ here; you basically are buying a prize for $20 that if
it was in a store you would not buy for $5.